BILIARY SCAN: Do not eat or drink anything for 4 hours before your appointment.
BONE SCAN: You will receive an injection. After the injection, you will be free to go until your next appointment time. You will be instructed to drink 3-4 glasses of fluids and void frequently. You will return at the second appointment time for pictures. Initial injection: 20 Minutes | Later Images: 2 Hours
GALLIUM SCAN: You will receive an injection of gallium, which is a small and safe amount of radioactive material. After the injection, you will be free to go until your next appointment time, between 6 to 48 hours later. Upon returning, images will be taken with a scanner to detect where the radiotracer has accumulated in your body.
- Renal Function Scan: Drink 2 cups of water 1 hour before your appointment. Bring a list of all your current blood pressure medications.
- Renal Captopril Scan: Do not eat anything for 1 hour before your test. Please drink 4 glasses of liquid (water/juice – 1 glass each hour for 4 hours before your test). You may empty your bladder. Bring a list of all your current medications. At the time of booking, patients will be informed regarding discontinuation of Ace Inhibitors, diuretics, and other anti-hypertensive medication.
THYROID UPTAKE & SCAN: Thyroid medications (e.g. eltroxin, synthroid, thyroxine) or food containing iodine (e.g. kelp or seaweed) might affect the results of this test. Please inform staff at the time of booking if you are taking any thyroid medications. Check with your physician regarding the discontinuation of any thyroid medications or supplements (should be discontinued 3 weeks before your test). Bring a list of all your current medications.
Thyroid Uptake & Scan is performed over 2 days:
- Day 1: A capsule is taken orally, and a measurement is taken (up to 1 hour).
- Day 2: 24-hour measurement of uptake, followed by an injection and then imaging (1 hour).
ABDOMEN: No eating or drinking (smoking or chewing gum) for 8 hours before your appointment.
PELVIC: You must completely drink 34 oz (or 1 litre) of water 1 hour before your appointment. Do not empty your bladder before the examination.
ABDOMEN & PELVIC: No eating or drinking for 8 hours before your appointment. HOWEVER, you must completely drink 34 oz (or 1 litre) of water 1 hour before your appointment. Do not empty your bladder before the examination.
FETAL GROWTH FOLLOW-UP & BIOPHYSICAL PROFILE: Patients should eat/drink a sweet snack 10 minutes prior to their appointment (i.e. fruit, chocolate bar or bottle of juice/smoothie).
OBSTETRIC: You must completely drink 34 oz (or 1 litre) of water 30 minutes before your appointment. Do not empty your bladder before the examination.
PROSTATE (TRANSRECTAL): Use a Fleet enema 2 hours before the examination (kit may be purchased at your pharmacy). You must completely drink 34 oz (or 1 litre) of water 1 hour before your appointment. Do not empty your bladder before the examination.
RENAL: No eating or drinking for 3 hours before your appointment.
RENAL & BLADDER: No eating for 3 hours before your appointment. Start drinking 34 oz (or 1 litre) of water 1.5 hours before your appointment and finish it 1 hour before your appointment. Do not empty your bladder before the examination.
OTHER: No preparation required for the following exams: Thyroid, Breast, Scrotum, Extremity and Vascular Ultrasound.
Ultrasound (Children Ages 0-17 Years)
- Under 2 Years: No eating or drinking (except water) for 2 hours before your appointment.
- Ages 2-4 Years: No eating or drinking (except water) for 4 hours before your appointment.
- Ages 5-12 Years: No eating or drinking (except water) for 6 hours before your appointment.
- Under 3 Years: Drink clear fluid without bubbles (such as water, apple juice, etc.)
- Ages 3-6 Years: Drink 16 oz. (2 cups) of water 30 minutes before your appointment.
- Ages 7-11 Years: Drink 24 oz. (3 cups) of water 45 minutes before your appointment.
- Ages 12-17 Years: Drink 32 oz. (4 cups) of water 1 hour before your appointment.
Bone Mineral Density
Do not take calcium/vitamin supplements for 24 hours before your exam. If you have had a nuclear medicine dye injection or a barium study within the past 2 weeks, please reschedule your BMD test. Patients are asked to wear clothing without zippers or metal attachments.
Do not wear any deodorant, powder, or perfume during your appointment. Wear a separate blouse with skirt or slacks.
- You should be fasting (except water) for 4 hours before the test
- Insulin-dependent diabetics should take their insulin with a light meal 2 hours before the test.
- Discontinue all caffeine products 24 hours before the test. This includes all tea, coffee, decaffeinated tea/coffee, pop, chocolate, Tylenol 2 & 3 and/or medications containing caffeine.
- Wear loose fitting clothing, such a t-shirt, track pants, athletic shoes, etc.
- Bring a list of all current prescription medications and check with your physician regarding the discontinuation of any heart medications, such as Beta-Blockers like Metroprolol or Atenolol, as well as Calcium Channel Blockers like Diltiazem or Verapamil.
- Do not take erectile dysfunction medications, such as Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, etc. for 48 hours before the test.
- If you are pregnant or there is a possibility of pregnancy, or if you are breastfeeding, Nuclear Medicine Stress Testing may not be appropriate for you at this time. Please consult with your physician.
MYOCARDIAL PERFUSION IMAGING consists of 2 parts:
- Rest Study – Takes approximately 1.5-2 hours and consists of an injection followed by imaging.
- Stress Study – Takes approximately 2-2.5 hours and consists of a stress test, injection and imaging.
ECHOCARDIOGRAPHY: A cool sensation may be felt on your skin from the gel on the transducer, and a slight pressure of the transducer may be felt on your chest.
EXERCISE STRESS TEST OR STRESS ECHOCARDIOGRAPHY: Discontinue erectile dysfunction medication for 1 week before your test. Bring a list of all your current medications. Wear soft sole shoes and comfortable clothing.
HOLTER MONITORING: Please do not put any cream/lotion on your chest. Wear loose, comfortable clothing. Bring a list of all your current medications. Please note: a shower/bath is not permitted during the recording period.
BLOOD PRESSURE MONITORING: Please wear a shirt/blouse with short or loose-fitting sleeves. Bring a list of all your current medications.
Bring a list of all your current medications.
- The evening before your scan, do not consume sugary drinks or foods, such as juice, soda, rice, pasta, white bread or baked goods. For the full day prior to your scan, choose higher protein foods, such as nuts, seeds, meat, poultry, ﬁsh, eggs, cheese, beans and vegetables.
- Discontinue vitamins, supplements and caffeine the evening before your scan. You may take your regular medications, unless they contain caffeine.
- Do not exercise for 12 hours prior to your scan and minimize your physical activity for the full day prior to your scan.
- Do not eat or drink anything other than plain water for 6 hours prior to your scan.
- Wear loose, comfortable layers of clothing that are free of metal buttons and zippers.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR DIABETIC PATIENTS
- These instructions apply to both insulin-dependent and non-insulin dependent patients.
- In order to acquire a good PET/CT scan for you, we REQUIRE your blood sugar level to be under or equal to 10.0 mmol/L (180.0 mg/dL). It is ideal to have a blood sugar level between 4.0 – 7.0 mmol/L for our test.
- DO NOT take your Insulin or diabetic medications (metformin, glyburide, glucophage, januvia, etc.) 4 hours prior to your appointment.
- DO NOT eat or drink anything 6 hours of your appointment. Drinking plain water is encouraged for your test.
- You will be requested to provide to 2 recent glucose readings when confirming your appointment.
- If you have a morning appointment, it is suggested that you fast overnight to keep your blood sugar level down the next morning.
- If you have trouble controlling your blood sugar level or have blood sugar readings typically above 10.0 mmol/L, please notify the clinic.