NEWS & INSIGHTS
- You should be fasting (except water) for 4 hours before the test
- Insulin-dependent diabetics should take their insulin with a light meal 2 hours before the test.
- Discontinue all caffeine products 24 hours before the test. This includes all tea, coffee, decaffeinated tea/coffee, pop, chocolate, Tylenol 2 & 3 and/or medications containing caffeine.
- Wear loose fitting clothing, such a t-shirt, track pants, athletic shoes, etc.
- Bring a list of all current prescription medications and check with your physician regarding the discontinuation of any heart medications, such as Beta-Blockers like Metroprolol or Atenolol, as well as Calcium Channel Blockers like Diltiazem or Verapamil.
- Do not take erectile dysfunction medications, such as Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, etc. for 48 hours before the test.
- If you are pregnant or there is a possibility of pregnancy, or if you are breastfeeding, Nuclear Medicine Stress Testing may not be appropriate for you at this time. Please consult with your physician.
MYOCARDIAL PERFUSION IMAGING consists of 2 parts:
- Rest Study – Takes approximately 1.5-2 hours and consists of an injection followed by imaging.
- Stress Study – Takes approximately 2-2.5 hours and consists of a stress test, injection and imaging.