NEWS & INSIGHTS
- The evening before your scan, do not consume sugary drinks or foods, such as juice, soda, rice, pasta, white bread or baked goods. For the full day prior to your scan, choose higher protein foods, such as nuts, seeds, meat, poultry, ﬁsh, eggs, cheese, beans and vegetables.
- Discontinue vitamins, supplements and caffeine the evening before your scan. You may take your regular medications, unless they contain caffeine.
- Do not exercise for 12 hours prior to your scan and minimize your physical activity for the full day prior to your scan.
- Do not eat or drink anything other than plain water for 6 hours prior to your scan.
- Wear loose, comfortable layers of clothing that are free of metal buttons and zippers.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR DIABETIC PATIENTS
- These instructions apply to both insulin-dependent and non-insulin dependent patients.
- In order to acquire a good PET/CT scan for you, we REQUIRE your blood sugar level to be under or equal to 10.0 mmol/L (180.0 mg/dL). It is ideal to have a blood sugar level between 4.0 – 7.0 mmol/L for our test.
- DO NOT take your Insulin or diabetic medications (metformin, glyburide, glucophage, januvia, etc.) 4 hours prior to your appointment.
- DO NOT eat or drink anything 6 hours of your appointment. Drinking plain water is encouraged for your test.
- You will be requested to provide to 2 recent glucose readings when confirming your appointment.
- If you have a morning appointment, it is suggested that you fast overnight to keep your blood sugar level down the next morning.
- If you have trouble controlling your blood sugar level or have blood sugar readings typically above 10.0 mmol/L, please notify the clinic.