NEWS & INSIGHTS
- BILIARY SCAN: Do not eat or drink anything for 4 hours before your appointment.
- BONE SCAN: You will receive an injection. After the injection, you will be free to go until your next appointment time. You will be instructed to drink 3-4 glasses of fluids and void frequently. You will return at the second appointment time for pictures. Initial injection: 20 Minutes | Later Images: 2 Hours
- GALLIUM SCAN: You will receive an injection of gallium, which is a small and safe amount of radioactive material. After the injection, you will be free to go until your next appointment time, between 6 to 48 hours later. Upon returning, images will be taken with a scanner to detect where the radiotracer has accumulated in your body.
- RENAL SCANS:
- Renal Function Scan: Drink 2 cups of water 1 hour before your appointment. Bring a list of all your current blood pressure medications.
- Renal Captopril Scan: Do not eat anything for 1 hour before your test. Please drink 4 glasses of liquid (water/juice – 1 glass each hour for 4 hours before your test). You may empty your bladder. Bring a list of all your current medications. At the time of booking, patients will be informed regarding discontinuation of Ace Inhibitors, diuretics, and other anti-hypertensive medication.
- THYROID UPTAKE & SCAN: Thyroid medications (e.g. eltroxin, synthroid, thyroxine) or food containing iodine (e.g. kelp or seaweed) might affect the results of this test. Please inform staff at the time of booking if you are taking any thyroid medications. Check with your physician regarding the discontinuation of any thyroid medications or supplements (should be discontinued 3 weeks before your test). Bring a list of all your current medications. Thyroid Uptake & Scan is performed over 2 days:
- Day 1: A capsule is taken orally, and a measurement is taken (up to 1 hour).
- Day 2: 24-hour measurement of uptake, followed by an injection and then imaging (1 hour).